Saturday, April 19, 2008

Teaching English in a Village School




Every week I get to go to a local Chinese school in a village whose name I can't pronounce very well. With two friends I help teach these precious kids. They are enthusiastic, happy, and very quick to learn English. This is definitely the highlight of my week and even though it takes two hours to get there and we arrive home exhausted it is worth it ! These kids have the song "Head and Shoulders Knees and Toes" down...and love to sing "I like to eat apples and bananas". We've gotten to know the teachers, and also a young family who lost their daughter to cancer in January (who was in our class for awhile until she got too sick). Each week we drop by to visit and encourage them and usually they feed us a bowl of noodles or jiaozi (steamed dumplings).

No comments: